The book follows 20th-century doctor Claire Fraser and her 18th-century husband, Jamie Fraser, as they face the politics and turmoil of the forthcoming American Revolution. The preceding novel, The Fiery Cross, concluded with political unrest in the colonies beginning to boil over while the Frasers try to live peacefully on their isolated homestead. Claire's skill as a healer on Fraser's Ridge brings suspicions of witchcraft and murder upon her, while Jamie faces conflicting loyalties – one to the oath he swore to the British crown after the Jacobite Rising, and one to his hope for the American independence his daughter Brianna has assured him of.
Timeline of Significant EventsEdit
- Amanda Claire Hope MacKenzie is born
- Claire becomes certain that Mandy has a heart murmur, which she cannot safely repair in the 18th century
- The Frasers and MacKenzies travel to Wilmington in search of enough gemstones which the MacKenzies might use to make safe passage through the stone circle on Okracoke
- Previous working titles for the sixth book include King, Farewell and Sons of Liberty.
- Excerpts that at one time were attributed to the then-unfinished sixth book in the series eventually made it into the seventh, An Echo in the Bone.
- Point of view guide – A chapter-by-chapter breakdown of character points of view. Includes dates for chapters when noted.