Aloysius O'Shaughnessy Murphy is the cook on board the Artemis.
At some point during his career, Murphy was attacked by a shark and lost part of his leg.
Events of the NovelsEdit
Murphy prides himself on being the best sea-cook in Le Havre. Despite this prideful boast during the voyage on the Artemis, Claire is troubled to learn that the smugglers of the crew had not been being given the oatmeal and peas that were supposed to supplement their diet because Murphy couldn't be bothered going to the effort of soaking and cooking them.
Murphy puts his culinary skills to work in an attempt to discover a meal compatible with Jamie's morbid seasickness, but without success.
Murphy is extremely protective of his kitchen stores, and covetous of rare specialty items. He takes immoderate delight in using shark meat in his dishes, taking recurrent revenge on the one that took his leg.
Murphy is several inches shorter than Claire, but very broad with wrestler's shoulders. He has a head like a cannonball and no neck, with a broad, florid face, stiff sandy whiskers, and scanty blond hair. Murphy lost his leg to a shark and has a wooden leg as a replacement.
- Aloysius is the Latinized form of Aloys, an old Occitan form of Louis, a name which ultimately derives from the Germanic name Chlodovech, which was composed of the elements hlud "famous" and wig "war, battle".
- O'Shaughnessy is the anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Seachnasaigh "descendant of Seachnasach", a personal name of uncertain origin, perhaps derived from seachnach "elusive".
- Murphy is the anglicized form of Irish Ó Murchadha meaning "descendant of Murchadh". Murchadh is derived from Gaelic muir "sea" and cadh "warrior".
- Main article: Outlander (TV series)
English actor Nigel Betts portrays Aloysius Murphy on the Outlander TV series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Voyager, chapter 41. Described as several inches shorter than Claire. Five feet is an approximation, as Claire is 5'6".
- ↑ Voyager, chapter 44
- ↑ Behind the Name: Aloysius - access 16 May 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name: Louis - accessed 16 May 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name: Ludwig - access 16 May 2016
- ↑ Ancestry.com Surname: O'Shaughnessy - accessed 16 May 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name Surnames: Murphy - access 16 May 2016.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Murchadh - accessed 16 May 2016