|This article is about the fictional character. You may be looking for the narrator.|
Davina Porter was the mother of Brian Fraser, whom she bore out of wedlock by Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat. She was an attendant of the Dowager Lady Lovat, who had earlier been wed by force and raped by Simon.
Not much is known about Davina, except that she was a kitchen maid at Dounie Castle when Brian was conceived.
- Davina is the feminine form of David, from the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dawid), which was probably derived from Hebrew דוד (dwd) meaning "beloved".
- Porter is an occupational surname meaning "doorkeeper", ultimately from Old French porte "door", from Latin porta.
- Diana Gabaldon has confirmed that this minor character was named in honor of the narrator of the unabridged audiobook versions of the Outlander Series.
- ↑ The Fiery Cross, chapter 55
- ↑ Dragonfly in Amber, chapter 40
- ↑ Behind the Name: Davina - accessed 15 June 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name: David - accessed 15 June 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name Surnames: Porter - accessed 15 June 2016
- ↑ "Fraser of Lovat." Part Three: Family Trees. The Outlandish Companion.
- ↑ Outlander family tree included with Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
- ↑ Gabaldon, Diana. "Planning when to listen to audio book." MSG: 61224.58. Diana Gabaldon. Books and Writers Community. Compuserve. Published 8 November 2008. Accessed 18 July 2016.