|“||Deo... gratias! It was what Grandda said when he talked about a fight or killing something, and this wasn't quite that sort of thing, but it seemed like a good thing to say anyway.||”|
Jeremiah "Jemmy" MacKenzie was born in May 1770 to time traveler Brianna Randall Fraser. Owing to various circumstances, it was unclear at the time who Jem's father was; however, when Roger MacKenzie reunited with Brianna at Fraser's Ridge, he vowed to raise the boy as his son, regardless of his paternity. Several years later, a birth mark was discovered on Jem's scalp which appeared to be identical to one on Roger's scalp, finally confirming that Roger was Jem's biological father.
Jem is a time traveler like his parents, and has made at least three journeys through time. He has lived in the 1770s and 1978-1980.
Events of the NovelsEdit
Stubborn, brave, and resourceful.
Jem strongly resembles his mother and grandfather, with red hair and blue eyes, as well as various hereditary mannerisms and expressions. He does, however, have a mole on his scalp in the exact same location that Roger does, behind the left ear and just above the hairline. At nine, he is tall for his age.
- Jeremiah comes from the Hebrew name יִרְמְיָהוּ (Yirmiyahu) which meant "YAHWEH has uplifted". This is the name of one of the major prophets of the Old Testament, the author of the Book of Jeremiah and (supposedly) the Book of Lamentations.
- Alexander is the Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος).
- Ian is the modern Scottish variant of the name John.
- John is the English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious".
- Fraser may be derived from Fredarius, Fresel or Freseau. Another suggestion is that the Frasers were a tribe in Roman Gaul, whose badge was a strawberry plant.
- MacKenzie is the anglicized form of MacCoinnich, a Gaelic patronymic name meaning "son of Coinneach". The personal name Coinneach means "handsome" or "comely".
- Main article: Outlander (TV series)
- ↑ Age as of the end of Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Jeremiah - Accessed 30 September 2014.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Alexander – Accessed 19 April 2015.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Ian – Accessed 17 March 2014
- ↑ Behind the Name: John – Accessed 17 March 2014
- ↑ Way, George and Squire, Romily. Collins Scottish Clan & Family Encyclopedia. (Foreword by The Rt Hon. The Earl of Elgin KT, Convenor, The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs). Published in 1994. Pages 142 - 143.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Coinneach – Accessed 19 April 2015.
- ↑ Ancestry.com