Joseph Duverney was the Minister of Finance for King Louis XV of France.
In the series, Duverney advised the King on financial matters, had a son Gérard who was a prominent banker, and enjoyed playing chess.
As a historical figure, he was one of the famous Pâris brothers who made their initial fortunes provisioning for the French army. He also helped Voltaire make profitable investments and was favored by Madame de Pompadour.
Events of the NovelsEdit
Duverney meets Jamie often at the Palace of Versailles to play chess. Jamie always beats him, but this just makes him more determined to keep trying.
Monsieur Duverney is a guest at the dinner party that Claire and Jamie host on the evening that Claire and Mary are attacked on their way home, and which ends with the scandalous appearance of a drugged and distraught Mary.
When Jamie goes to the Bastille to explain what happened, Monsieur Duverney offers the security needed to allow him to leave until Mary Hawkins is well enough to explain what happened to her.
Though he appears only as a minor character in Dragonfly in Amber, Duverney demonstrates persistence in continuing to challenge Jamie Fraser to games of chess, in spite of the fact that he always loses.
Duverney is described as a small, round man with stooped shoulders.
- Joseph is from Ioseph, the Latin form of Greek Ιωσηφ (Ioseph), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add".
- Duverney was first found in Forez, a former province of France, where this eminent family held a family seat from very early times.
- The historical figure Joseph Paris Duverney was a French banker.
- Main article: Outlander (TV series)
French actor Marc Duret portrays Joseph Duverney in the STARZ Outlander television series.
- ↑ Antoin E. Murphy (ed. Gilbert Faccarello). "The Enigmatic Monsiuer du Tot." |"The Enigmatic Monsiuer du Tot." Studies in the History of French Political Economy: From Bodin to Walras. 2002. Accessed 28 October 2016.
- ↑ Voltaire (1694-1778). Accessed 28 October 2016.
- ↑ Dragonfly in Amber, chapter 16
- ↑ Behind the Name: Joseph - accessed 29 June 2016
- ↑ House of Names: Duverney - accessed 30 June 2016