Katherine was born just months before the start of the Jacobite Rising of 1745. During her early life, she and her family experienced the violence and hunger that swept through the Highlands following the Battle of Culloden, though the Murrays fared better than most with their hardy potato crop and successful retention of their land.
Kitty's uncle Jamie lived in hiding near the Lallybroch estate, hunting and providing for the family as he could, particularly when her father Ian was detained by the English in Edinburgh. When she was about seven, Jamie was arrested and sent to prison.
Events of the NovelsEdit
Katherine is born in the spring of 1745.
When Claire returns through the stones in 1766 Kitty is married with two children.
Kitty is short, like her mother.
- Katherine could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess Hecate; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". In the early Christian era it became associated with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure", and the Latin spelling was changed from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.
- Mary is an usual English form of Maria, its meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".
- Murray is derived from the region in Scotland called Moray meaning "seaboard settlement".
- Silvers is derived from the Old English silfor meaning "silversmith".
- Main article: Outlander (TV series)
Unaccredited infant(s) portray Kitty Murray in the Outlander television series.
- ↑ Age as of the end of Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
- ↑ Kitty is born in the spring 1745 (Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 34)
- ↑ Drums of Autumn, chapter 34
- ↑ Behind the Name: Katherine - accessed 16 June 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name: Mary - accessed 15 June 2016
- ↑ Behind the Name – Surnames: Murray – Accessed 17 March 2014
- ↑ House of Names: Silvers - accessed 16 June 2016