Season Three of the Outlander television series premiered September 10, 2017. It airs on a new night and time from the previous two seasons, moving from Saturdays at 9 p.m. to Sundays at 8 p.m. It consists of 13 episodes, adapting the content of the third book of the series, Voyager.
The third season of Outlander picks up right after Claire travels through the stones to return to her life in 1948. Now pregnant, she struggles with the fallout of her sudden reappearance and its effect on her marriage to her first husband, Frank. Meanwhile, in the 18th century, Jamie suffers from the aftermath of his doomed last stand at the historic Battle of Culloden, as well as the loss of Claire. As the years pass, Jamie and Claire attempt to make a life apart from one another, each haunted by the memory of their lost love. The budding possibility that Claire can return to Jamie in the past breathes new hope into Claire's heart... as well as new doubt. Separated by continents and centuries, Claire and Jamie must find their way back to each other. As always, adversity, mystery, and adventure await them on the path to reunion. And the question remains: when they find each other, will they be the same people who parted at the standing stones, all those years ago?
- Caitriona Balfe as Claire Randall
- Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser
- Tobias Menzies as Frank Randall / Jonathan Randall
- Duncan Lacroix as Murtagh Fraser
- Andrew Gower as Charles Stuart
- Grant O'Rourke as Rupert MacKenzie
- Laura Donnelly as Jenny Murray
- Steven Cree as Ian Murray
- David Berry as Lord John Grey
- Sophie Skelton as Brianna Randall
- Richard Rankin as Roger Wakefield
- John Bell as Young Ian Murray
- César Domboy as Fergus
- Lauren Lyle as Marsali MacKimmie
|301||The Battle Joined||Writer: Ronald D. Moore||Director: Brendan Maher||September 10, 2017|
|After living through the Battle of Culloden, Jamie finds himself at the mercy of unforgiving British victors, until a connection from his past provides his only hope of survival. Meanwhile, a pregnant Claire attempts to adjust to life in the modern world of 1940s Boston – and life with Frank.
|302||Surrender||Writer: Anne Kenney||Director: Jennifer Getzinger||September 17, 2017|
|Hiding in an isolated cave, Jamie leads a lonely life until Lallybroch is threatened by redcoats pursuing the elusive Jacobite traitor known as "Red Jamie." Back in Boston, Claire and Frank struggle to coexist in a marriage haunted by the ghost of Jamie's love.
|303||All Debts Paid||Writer: Matthew B. Roberts||Director: Brendan Maher||September 24, 2017|
|In prison, Jamie discovers that an old foe has become the warden – and now has the power to make his life a living hell. Over the years, Claire and Frank both put their best foot forward to share a harmonious marriage, but an uninvited guest shatters this illusion, bringing their differences to light.
|304||Of Lost Things||Writer: Toni Graphia||Director: Brendan Maher||October 1, 2017|
|While serving as groomsman at the aristocratic estate of Helwater, Jamie is reluctantly pulled into the intrigue of a noble British family. In 1968 Scotland, Claire, Brianna and Roger struggle to trace Jamie's whereabouts in history, leaving Claire to wonder if they will ever find him again.
|305||Freedom & Whisky||Writer: Toni Graphia||Director: Brendan Maher||October 8, 2017|
|As Brianna grapples with the life-changing revelations of the past summer, Claire must help her come to terms with the fact that she is truly her father's daughter – her 18th century Highlander father. To complicate matters further, Roger brings news that forces Claire and Brianna to face an impossible choice.
|306||A. Malcolm||Writer: Matthew B. Roberts||Director: Norma Bailey||October 22, 2017|
|After decades apart, Jamie and Claire finally reunite and rekindle their emotional and physical bonds. But Jamie's new business dealings jeopardize the couple's hopes for a simple life together.
|307||Crème De Menthe||Writer: Karen Campbell||Director: Norma Bailey||October 29, 2017|
|In the aftermath of a violent confrontation, Claire follows her conscience as a surgeon, even though it could put her and Jamie's lives at risk. At the same time, Jamie attempts to evade the reach of the Crown as its representative closes in on his illegal dealings.
|308||First Wife||Writer: Joy Blake||Director: Jennifer Getzinger||November 5, 2017|
|Claire returns to Lallybroch with Jamie, where she does not receive quite the reception she was expecting. Unbeknownst to her, Jamie's made some choices in their time apart which come back to haunt them with a vengeance.
|309||The Doldrums||Writer: Shannon Goss||Director: David Moore||November 12, 2017|
|Claire and Jamie leave Scotland, sailing to the West Indies on an urgent quest. But when the superstitious crew looks for someone to blame after a string of bad luck, rescue comes from an unlikely source.
|310||Heaven and Earth||Writer: Luke Schelhaas||Director: David Moore||November 19, 2017|
|Claire races to discover the source of an epidemic aboard a disease-stricken ship before hundreds of sailors die. And as Jamie locks horns with Captain Raines, Fergus finds himself torn between loyalty and love.
|311||Uncharted||Writer: Karen Campbell and Shannon Goss||Director: Charlotte Brandstrom||November 26, 2017|
|After making a leap of faith, Claire washes up on a seemingly deserted island where survival is her only option. Navigating treacherous waters has crippled the Artemis, so Jamie devises a joyful moment for his crew in the midst of devastating setbacks.
|312||The Bakra||Writer: Luke Schelhaas||Director: Charlotte Brandstrom||December 3, 2017|
|The Artemis finally reaches Jamaica bringing Jamie and Claire that much closer to their goal. During a lavish ball on the island, the Frasers encounter old allies, as well as former adversaries who threaten to derail their mission.
|313||Eye of the Storm||Writer: Matthew B. Roberts and Toni Graphia||Director: Matthew B. Roberts||December 10, 2017|
|Claire is forced to play a game of cat and mouse with an old adversary as she searches for Young Ian. The Frasers race through the jungles of Jamaica to prevent the unthinkable.
- June 1, 2016 – Starz announced that Outlander would be renewed for at least two more seasons.
- June 30, 2016 – Showrunner Ronald D. Moore and writers Matthew B. Roberts, Anne Kenney, and Toni Graphia will return to write for Seasons Three and Four, and will be joined by new writers Luke Schelhass, Karen Campbell, Joy Blake, and Shannon Goss.
- August 21, 2016 – Sam Heughan began filming for Season Three.
- August 29, 2016 – David Berry was announced to play older Lord John Grey.
- September 20, 2016 – Two casting announcements made: Wil Johnson as Joe Abernathy and John Bell as Young Ian Murray.
- September 29, 2016 – César Domboy was announced to play older Fergus.
- October 3, 2016 – Lauren Lyle was announced to play Marsali.
- ↑ TRUE LOVE IS NEVER LOST. STARZ ANNOUNCES SEASON THREE RETURN OF HIT ORIGINAL SERIES "OUTLANDER" ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH AT 8PM ET/PT – July 11, 2017.
- ↑ Maril Davis Twitter status – August 21, 2016.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sam Heughan Twitter status – August 21, 2016.
- ↑ Outlander STARZ Twitter Status
- ↑ Matt Roberts Twitter. Accessed 28 December 2016.
- ↑ Diana Gabaldon Facebook – June 30, 2016.