Claire and Jamie call upon Jamie's grandsire, Lord Lovat, in an attempt to elicit support for the Jacobite cause. However, a visiting Colum MacKenzie has other plans, and Lord Lovat's manipulative machinations ensure that no matter what, his own interests will be served.
Returning to Scotland with Claire ,Jamie finds that his name has been forged on a muster roll of Jacobite fighters. Jamie determines to gather his own force in an attempt to change history. They visit his influential if infamous grandfather Lord Lovat to gain his backing of troops. Jamie's uncle Colum, who is also gloomy about a Jacobite victory, is there looking to have Lord Lovat declare neutrality with the MacKenzies. Having failed to trick Jamie out of giving him his home Lallybroch Lovat signs a document to save himself but sends his son Simon to fight for the Stuarts.
- Young Simon recites lines by Allan Ramsay from "Lochaber No More".
- The exterior for Beaufort Castle, seat of Clan Fraser of Lovat, was filmed at Dean Castle in East Ayrshire, Scotland.
- The pact that Lord Lovat and Colum MacKenzie sign is dated May 3, 1745.
- The title of this episode is named for Lord Lovat, The Old Fox.
- The set for Lallybroch's Parlor was altered and re-dressed to become the Great Hall at Beaufort Castle.