|This file is copyrighted. The individual who uploaded this work and first used it in an article, and subsequent persons who place it into articles, assert that this qualifies as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.|
- § Denotes content present in the first edition, and excised from the revised and updated edition.
- ‡ Denotes new content in the revised and updated edition.
Table of ContentsEdit
PART ONE: Synopses
- Dragonfly in Amber
- Drums of Autumn
PART TWO: Characters
- Where Characters Come From: Mushrooms, Onions, and Hard Nuts
- Cast of Characters
- I Get Letters...
- Horoscope Reading for James Fraser, Horoscope Chart
- Horoscope Reading for Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser, Horoscope Chart
- Magic, Medicine, and White Ladies
PART THREE: Family Trees
- A Genealogical Note
PART FOUR: Comprehensive Glossary and Pronunciation Guide
- A Very Brief Guide to Gaelic Grammar
- Comprehensive Glossary of Foreign Terms (including British slang)
§ PART FIVE: Outlandish Web Sites and Online Venues
- The Web Sites
- The Diana Gabaldon Home Page
- LOL–The Ladies (and Lads) of Lallybroch
- Through the Stones
- The Outlandish Time Line
- Clan Outlandish on AOL
- The Free Gallery of Authors' Voices
- CompuServe Readers and Writers Ink Group
PART SIX: Research
- Researching Historical Fiction: Hot Dogs and Beans
- ‡ Online Research
- Botanical Medicine: Don't Try This at Home
- Penicillin Online: A Writer's Thread
PART SEVEN: Where Titles Come From (and Other Matters of General Interest)
- Outlander vs. Cross Stitch
- ‡ The Cannibal's Art
- ‡ Writing and Real Life
- ‡ Book touring for Beginners
- ‡ A Brief Disquisition on the Existence of Butt Cooties
- ‡ The Shape of Things
- The Gabaldon Theory of Time Travel
PART EIGHT: The View from Lallybroch: Objects of Vertue, Objects of Use
- "Arma virumque cano"
PART NINE: Frequently Asked Questions
PART TEN: Controversy
- ‡ Jamie and the Rule of Three
§ PART ELEVEN: Work in Progress: Excerpts of Future Books
- § The Fiery Cross
- § King, Farewell: "Surgeon's Steel"
- The Cannibal's Art
- Writing and Real Life
‡ From Book to Screen
- Introduction, or "Bring Me the Head of Ron. D. Moore."
- But How on Earth Did We Get Here?
- Actors and Magic
- My Brief Career as a TV Actor, Part 1
- My Brief Career as a TV Actor, Part 2
- Film Commentary: Adaptation, Logistics, and Testicles
- Interview for the Unabridged German Edition of Outlander
- Is It Like You Thought It Would Be?
‡ Photo Insert
- Eighteenth Century
- Medicine (Including all Herbals)
- African Cultures
- Ghosts and Ghost Stories
- Language Resources
- Natural History Guides and Resources
- North Carolina
- Native American Cultures and History, Etc.
- Rather Odd Books
- I: Errata
- II: Gaelic (Gaidhlig) Resources
- III: Poems and Quotations
- IV: Roots: A Brief Primer on Genealogical Research
- V: A Brief Discography of Celtic Music
- VI: Foreign Editions, Audiotapes, and Strange, Strange Covers
- VII: The Methadone List
- ↑ The absence of this section in the revised and updated edition causes a shift in the number of each part, e.g. "Research" becomes Part 5, "Where Titles Come From" becomes Part 6, etc.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Previously included in the "Work in Progress" section of the first edition.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Relocated to "Where Titles Come From" section in revised and updated edition.
- ↑ Part Ten in the revised and updated edition.