Wendigo Donner was a time traveler and a Native American activist.
On November 1, 1968, Donner and four other activists ("the Montauk Five") attempted time travel through the stone circle on Ocracoke, hoping to prevent the genocide of the Native Americans. Donner arrived in 1766, whereas Robert Springer went too far into the past, and another of their companions died in the passage.
Events of the NovelsEdit
Donner doesn't appear in person in The Fiery Cross. However, in late 1772, Young Ian obtains a journal written by Donner's companion Robert Springer, and Brianna remembers reading newspaper articles about the disappearance of five Native American activists, known as the Montauk Five, in late 1968.
Wendigo Donner is among the men who kidnap Claire Fraser in October 1773.
In August 1774, he visits River Run and whistles "Yellow Submarine" to get Brianna's attention, revealing that he is a time traveler. Brianna tells him that to time travel, one needs a gemstone.
On December 21, 1776, Donner comes with his friends to Fraser's Ridge and demands that Claire and Jamie give them gemstones. They burglarize the Big House and break the glass containing Claire's highly flammable ether. Young Ian lights one of Brianna's matches and the house quickly goes up in flames, killing Donner and his friends.
As a stranded time-traveler, Donner was chiefly motivated by his desire to first survive the 18th century, and second – after meeting Claire – to return to his own, much safer and more comfortable time. He showed little regard for others, being completely focused on his own survival; this short-sightedness led him to make unwise decisions that backfired and ultimately got him killed.
Donner had bushy, curly hair that hung past his shoulders, and was often likened to a lion's mane. His features showed that he was of mixed blood, being half Native American.
- Richard means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy".
- Wendigo, in Algonquian folklore, is a cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada.
- Donner is a German nickname for a loud or irascible man, from Middle High German doner "thunder" (Old High German thonar).
- ↑ This name is not found in the novels or The Outlandish Companion, Vol. II, only on the Outlander Timeline, which suggests that it may be an error. See also this thread on Compuserve.
- ↑ The Fiery Cross, Chapter 109
- ↑ Behind the Name: Richard - accessed 25 May 2016
- ↑ Wikipedia: Wendigo - accessed 25 May 2016
- ↑ Ancestry.com Surname: Donner - accessed 25 May 2016